http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/clic ... home.faces

Helps raise free mammograms for the uninsured in the US of A
All you need do to assist is click on the link and click the pink button
every day.Advertisers and sponsors pay for the service via their advertising

They replicate this with 5 other sites to help the hungry,illiterate,animals
rain forests & childrens health
buttsie

Postby Shantih » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 am

I like www.freerice.com, because you actually learn something along with the clicking. I'm more likely to keep coming back to it, generally I forget with that sort of thing.
Shantih

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 am

http://www.pokerstars.com/

Everyone needs to eat.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby Shantih » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 am

I always got the feeling that you lived off alcohol, illegal substances and some manner of breathtarianism.
Shantih

Postby Extreme Allah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:43 am

Shantih wrote:I always got the feeling that you lived off alcohol, illegal substances and some manner of breathtarianism.

I'm dry and in an office, these days, actually. It's a sad state of affairs for all involved.
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby rachelsummers » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:52 am

I'd enjoy working with non-profit organizations. For a while I had this idea that there could be a bottled water company that donated it's proceeds to an NGO that worked to develop water treatment programs in developing countries. (For some reason writing, NGO seems cooler than writing, "charity".) I think Natalie has the right idea when she suggests that FINCA isn't necessarily a charity because the microloans are returned by the recipients. And also that psychologically the work that people do for themselves is more than likely invigorating for the recipients of those loans. Not only have they had the opportunity to work to improve their situation, the returned loan is in turn distributed to someone else, who has a similar opportunity. That's a beautiful thing.

I also feel that KIVA is doing a great thing placing people who've donated funds into communication with the recipients of loans. I feel bad sometimes that I'm not currently working with a non-profit organization. I don't know that I ever have. My parents, for the greater part of their careers worked with non-profit organizations, Hospitals and Schools. If I was working with an NGO, I'd like to work with China on some level, if possible.

I think that potentially it's an exciting thing to see China modernize, outside of the environmental concern. As an American, I find it deeply troublesome that so many workers in Southeast Asia are exploited. I don't know enough about the situation to have a fully informed opinion, although I feel that sweatshop labor is essentially equatable to slavery. A concept that I feel a deep moral opposition towards.

And there are different approaches to that concern. Some are confrontational. I feel it's better to take a more active approach if possible. One way of doing so involves becoming a business-person. Instead of expecting someone else, another corporation to increase wages in foreign factories, even if I feel that morally that business should oblige, ideally I think it would be better for a person to have their own business to mind and then they can raise wages in foreign factories if they so chose. Not only is that an option, that also creates greater options for the American consumer.

I find it so incredibly difficult to understand sometimes why corporate C.E.O.'s and major stockholders are possibly overly concerned with revenue to the point where perhaps they participate in the neglect of workers rights. Especially when many of those executives and shareholders are already vastly wealthy. And I'd guess that as China industrializes and grows economically, there's probably going to be a feeling of resentment amongst the Chinese people towards American businesses and ultimately American consumers. I wonder if that's actually leading both countries in a bad direction? I feel a deep and genuine concern.

I also understand that offering higher wages in foreign factories would have an effect not only on our American economy, but also economies in Southeast Asia or Mexico, for example. I have to believe there are pathways through which American and Southeast Asian business-persons and communities can work together to balance the economies. I've read so much regarding concern over the economic growth of China. Is it truly necessary for the ascension of one economy and the stall or erosion of another? It seems as though equality could be an option in there somewhere?

It's true that obviously China has a greater population and so therefore has a greater economic potential per capita. It seems as though a balance could be found when thinking of the individual consumer, worker, entrepreneur and business-person, as a cross-section of the average based upon population, instead of total the total denomination in circulation. And certainly global economics is more complex than the above simplicity.

I just have to believe that there's way to balance everything so that great numbers of people aren't impoverished. And that's not to suggest that I don't believe in the value of the free-market economy. If the Chinese economy grows and the Chinese consumer feels resentment towards American business, so much so that they aren't interested in purchasing American goods, where does that leave those corporations? I apologize that my writing here has become at least a bit verbose.

As a final thought and thank you so very much to anyone who would find the time to read all of this. Thinking of dialogue and relations with China, I'm certain that China is watching American politics closely and if they sense convolution from organizations directed towards the American people, whether from the government or NGO's, I'd guess that wouldn't help earn their trust or further an open dialogue and discussion. I feel concerned to offer the thought because my intention definitely isn't to cause any political friction. Thank you!

Last edited by rachelsummers on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rachelsummers

Postby buttsie » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:05 am

Shantih wrote:I like www.freerice.com, because you actually learn something along with the clicking. I'm more likely to keep coming back to it, generally I forget with that sort of thing.

Good to see the mothersite is swinging with a big bat

http://www.poverty.com/printletter.html

and leading to other worthwhile sites

http://www.poverty.com/more.html
buttsie

Postby aurlis » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm

i really admire Natalie 4 Finca
aurlis

Postby buttsie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:30 am

Then why not post the link...tccchhhh!!!!!

under going maintenance 27/1/08

http://www.villagebanking.org/site/c.er ... 3/Home.htm
buttsie

Postby buttsie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 am

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(ASPCA)

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer

ASPCA® Mission: OrangeTMASPCA Mission: Orange is a focused effort to create a country of humane communities, one community at a time, where animals receive the compassion and respect they deserve—a nation where there is no more unnecessary euthanasia of adoptable animals simply because of a lack of resources and awareness.
buttsie

Postby JenR » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:30 am

buttsie wrote:American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(ASPCA)

ASPCA® Mission: OrangeTMASPCA Mission: Orange is a focused effort to create a country of humane communities, one community at a time, where animals receive the compassion and respect they deserve—a nation where there is no more unnecessary euthanasia of adoptable animals simply because of a lack of resources and awareness.
JenR

Postby buttsie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:28 am

JenR wrote:
buttsie wrote:American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(ASPCA)

:? confuscious say "what the fudgecake"
buttsie

Postby Atheist Jihad » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:17 am

asdf
Atheist Jihad

Postby buttsie » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:44 am

MyCommitment.org aims to provide all people—regardless of age, income or where you live—with the resources to take action and make a real change in their communities and around the world.

http://mycommitment.org/
buttsie

Return to Off-Topic