WANT.

Anything Goes

Re: WANT.

Postby quick_wit » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:33 am

Been running marathons lately and want nothing in the world (as of the moment) except this:

quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Really? I have never tried them, but got the impression they were a lame gimmick like the Shox or something. I guess I shouldn't make assumptions.

I am all over the place. I will wear pretty much any neutral trainer that feels comfortable. I think it's sort of amazing that Nike is in their own league in terms of looks, while managing to put out as good a product as any other company, and keep it at the exact same price point. But at the same time I don't care that much, and Nike tends to aim at people who want or need more shoe than I do, so I have mostly been wearing Asics and Mizuno the last few years.

Pretty impressed that you are running marathons. It's a lot of work. Even I (who am OCD and have nothing but time) have cut back to 10Ks and less. What' kinds of speed are you working with?
euphoriac wrote:I have been strikingly attracted to natalie since I saw Leon.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:45 am

I don't know, I just thought it was pretty. I wanted a running shoe that I can wear with casual clothes. There's a park near my work, so I could just wear it instead of carrying it around. My friend wanted Asics too, haven't tested one yet, so I guess I could check it out. My friend is working towards 10k, I'm staying with 3-5k.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Oh, OK. Training at like 1mile runs or w/e, it's probably hard to hurt yourself. But you really don't want to start pushing harder in a shoe you chose on a whim. Running shoes are made for all different gaits and physiology. For instance, most people in the developed word (i.e. had shoes growing up) are "overpronators," meaning they bend their foot in too much toward the inside edge on impact, which can create all sorts of injuries. Others don't turn in enough ("underpronators"), which is another injury problem. Others pronatate an ideal amount, and thus want to avoid all the needless cushioning and control in a typical shoe. Etc.

Once you know what you are and what has worked for you, you can start to feel OK about picking out a shoe on the internet. But I really advise against it until you are more experienced. Go to a running specialty store, and ask them to analyze your gait. They will probably have you run on a treadmill for a few minutes, and then show you a few pair that they think should work for you.

They aren't really even more expensive this way. Pretty much every proper running shoe is about $100US here, with a few companies having an option that is a little less (like the Pegasus from Nike), and if you are really, really heavy, there are usually extreme cushioning and control shoes that cost like $130, but almost everything that a runner would really train in stays at that US$100 price point.

They seem to make more attractive bits of kit for woman, so I'm sure you can find something that excites you, whether it be shoes or shorts or w/e. I personally am obsessed with loudly colored shorts. I have an American flag pair that is my favorite.

Oh, lastly, I also advise against your reasoning for wanting a nice looking running shoe. Running shoes have a fairly finite road life of about 300-600 miles, probably on the lower end. They are expensive and important, and walking around in them wears them out faster and in different, weird ways, and it also makes it extremely hard to track the miles you put on them, which is in convenient in other ways.

Sorry for the rant, I'm a gear queer.

Edit: The Nike Lunar line has really girly color options, btw. Girls I've know actually find it sexistly so, but as a half-fag, I actually think they look great. They are good shoes, and they probably make one for you, assuming that there is nothing super odd about the way you run.

Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 am

The first one looks nice, I do plan to get tested so I know which shoe fits before I buy one. Thanks.

Do those fancy shoe technology like Nike Shox really work? each brand has their own thing. I think I should just stick to the basics and work with one that fits.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Well "work" is a funny word in this particular context. They (Shox) are probably pretty durable. And there are those among us who could run in Chucks or something every day, and never get hurt. But that doesn't mean they are the best shoe for distance running, or for you.

You could buy the stupidest, most gimmicky shoes on earth, run 60 miles a week, and realistically not have a problem from the shoes. Likewise, you could buy exactly what an expert tells you are ideal for your feet, and have problems you wouldn't have had with a shoe that seems identical if not worse for you. It's not a science they have perfected yet.

Further, I have never read any reason specifically why those shoes are not great. But there is a pattern that has been going on for a long, long time, since before either of us were born, where something cute comes out, hoards buy it to wear around, then fashion moves on. And meanwhile, what they made didn't work for serious runners, so what we wear really hasn't changed much (notice that companies like Brooks, Asics, etc. don't really put any emphasis on lines that are all that different from the standard old running shoe [some gel added here or there, and ugly new midfoot or bracing, but it mostly seems the same]. These companies cater to people who spent $500+/year on shoes that have to work and don't have to do anything else. Not that they aren't always innovating a bit, but things don't change very fast, and if there were a game-changer, like heavy springs turned out to be great for running, it would quickly be reflected in their elite lines of shoes).

My objections to those particular shoes are circumstantial. They appear to be fairly light, and I don't know anything about their support or construction. And I HATE it when people stick to what used to "work" for them and won't accept new technology. But there is a pretty stunning track record of cool-looking "running" shoe gimmicks that didn't really add anything and disappeared when they got boring to non-runners, and the cooler they seem, the more likely they are to be invented by the marketing department.

All these shoes probably "work." The Shox are a comfortable shoe. I know gym rats like them, I know people with different taste than my own show wear them for style. But it just isn't right ideal for running. Most Nike "running" stuff that no serious runners run in is nice. Just not for running. The Shox, the Air Max, Vomero, etc...it's all way too heavy, firstly, and doesn't really give you any benefit from the weight anyway. They are built to be comfortable and cushy while walking around, and while it may seem intuitive that it would translate, it really doesn't seem to.

So maybe those shoes are fine for you. Maybe they are good for running and for the way you run. If someone whose job it is is to maintain a core of happy runners who come back to her shop 5 times a year to give her $100 tells you that those are the shoes to get, and you like the way they feel, then it's the ideal situation. But statistically and historically, I think it's best to guess what is going to be lightest, most comfortable and most injury-free is going to look and work like almost every other running shoe on the market.

In short: idk; I am just pattern mapping.
Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:57 am

I am close. It's one of my favorite Fender colors. All that's stopping me is that they are coming out with CV Jags and Jazzmasters soon.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Sun May 13, 2012 6:54 am

Ah damn, I haven't been practicing guitar lately. I'd have to find the Beatles chord book you recommended, I don't see it in the local bookstores. Thanks for the advice on the shoes. I think I'll just buy an Asics.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed May 16, 2012 2:43 am

(I didn't buy it, obviously. But I still may.)

I think this is the one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0634022296/

I'm sure others are good too.

I haven't been playing like I should either. I was trying to put a band together, but now I have other stuff taking up my time, and am lazy.
Extreme Allah

Postby robot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 pm

New Mac laptops look so nice, but so crazy expensive. :/
robot

Postby quick_wit » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:44 am

I will never buy a Mac and stick to PC because its worry free, although I won't turn down a freebie

I blame EA for my new found love for expensive Nike High Tops (damn exchange rates and tax).
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Puma and Adidas make a lot of cool lowtops, too. I am not going to go deal-shopping for you because I know you are not going to qualify for most of the American prices, but you can usually find a lot of cool, comfortable stuff for cheap from either if you aren't too picky.

I found some Speedcats for $30 this summer:

They are comfortable and look pretty good with a lot of shit.
Extreme Allah

Postby quick_wit » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:14 pm

looks good, I actually passed by a store when I walked around during lunch hour but it was closed because there was some kind of construction going on. Will check some shoes tomorrow. Thanks.

Edit:
Ended up buying a pair of high top black chucks.
quick_wit

Postby Extreme Allah » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Can't go wrong with them, anyway. I was about to suggest the Sweet Classic Hi by Nike, though. You can find them for around $50, in a lot of colors. I have green.

What I really want is $120, but I am cutting but a bit on my insane money-burning, and redundant, $100+ novelty shoes should probably be cut from the budget.

Extreme Allah

Postby Extreme Allah » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 am

Found a ridiculous Jew deal on this jacket. I think I pull the trigger.
Extreme Allah

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic